Saturday 31 October 2015

Unit 7 - Grammar and vocabulary revision exercises

Complete these exercises. The answers will be discussed in class.

GRAMMAR - Choose A, B, or C to complete the sentences.

1 You  ________ spent so long in the sun. You look as if you’ve got sunburn. 
A  might not have          B  couldn’t have          C  shouldn’t have      

2 I ________ some Indian food. Shall we get a takeaway? 
A  feel like          B  feel as if          C  feel      

3 I suppose Jane ________ just forgotten it was your birthday, but it’s not like her. 
A  should have          B  could have          C  ought to have      

4 I think I ________ lost that CD Jack lent me. I’ll look for it again tonight. 
A  may have          B  must have          C  should have      

5 This duvet ________! It makes me want to have a sleep now! 
A  feels like so soft          B  feels as if so soft          C  feels so soft      

6 You ________ asked before you borrowed my car! I thought it had been stolen! 
A  must have          B  ought to have          C  may have      

7 I think the kids ________ gone swimming. They’ve taken towels from the bathroom. 
A  must have          B  should have          C  couldn’t have      

8 You ________ picked a worse time to call – I’m in the middle of making dinner! 
A  shouldn’t have          B  may not have          C  couldn’t have      

9 This shirt ________ it’s made of really good quality cotton. 
A  feels          B  feels as if          C  feels that      

10 I think we’re lost! I ________ my satnav with me. 
A  should bring          B  should brought          C  should have brought      

11   You ________ seen Helen. She was standing right next to you at the party! 
A  must have          B  can’t have          C  couldn’t have      

12   You ________ you’ve had some bad news. Are you OK? 
A  look like          B  look          C  look as like      

13 They ________ have got lost. I gave them very clear directions. 
A  might          B  mustn’t          C  can’t      

14   That cake ________ delicious. Can I try a piece? 
A  smells like          B  smells          C  smells as if      

15 Suzy’s flight ________ cancelled. There’s a lot of fog in the London area this morning. 
A  might have been          B  can’t have been          C  may not have been      

16 I ________ bought so many clothes. I don’t get paid until next week. 
A  shouldn’t have          B  can’t have          C  might not have      

17 Fred ________ gone out. His car is in the garage. 
A  must have          B  can’t have          C  might have      

18   You look freezing! You look ________ you’ve been in the Arctic! 
A  if          B  as if          C  as      

19 These shoes aren’t stylish but they ________ very comfortable. 
A  feel as if          B  feel          C  feel like       

20 This jacket looks exactly ________ the one I used to have when I was a teenager! 
A  like          B  as if          C  as


VOCABULARY - Choose A, B, or C to complete the sentences.

1   I wish you wouldn’t ________ all the time. 
A  deny          B  discuss          C  argue      

2 How do you  ________ people downloading your photos illegally? 
A  avoid          B  prevent          C  refuse      

3 I’ve used the gym twice and it ________ really good. 
A  seems          B  looks          C  notices      

4 I ________ you would stop tapping your fingers on the table! 
A  hope          B  expect          C  wish      

5 I think my team have a good chance of ________ yours this year. 
A  winning          B  beating          C  losing      

6 Kevin ________ that he’d broken the window. 
A  refused          B  argued          C  denied      

7 Unless they ________ my salary I’m going to look for another job. 
A  rise          B  raise          C  higher      

8 He ________ a bank in that film, but of course, he’s a good guy really. 
A  robs          B  thieves          C  steals      

9 Could you ________ me how to apply for a place on that course? 
A  warn          B  discuss          C  advise      

10 ________ me to email Danny. I need to give him directions to your house. 
A  Remind          B  Remember          C  Notice

No comments:

Post a Comment